According to the national Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA), the average six-room house collects 40 pounds of dirt, dust and allergens in its air ducts each year. That’s a big problem, considering that 40,000 dust mites can thrive in only one ounce of dust. Those little dust “bunnies” contain a host of unhealthy bacteria, fungi and mold. The EPA estimates indoor air can be two to five times more polluted than outdoor air. Even worse, the contaminated air circulates throughout your house every time the heating or cooling system kicks on.
Some reasons to get your ducts cleaned
1. Health: Many heating systems that use ducts (consider moving to a Mitsubishi Ductless System) to distribute warm air throughout your home or business accumulate dust throughout the year and especially during the winter. And where there is dust, there are dust mites. If you don’t take the time to schedule annual duct cleanings, there will be an accumulation of airborne allergens such as pollen, bacteria, dust mites and fungus in your home. These microscopic organisms contribute to any number of respiratory issues and to the general air quality in your home. Many of our customers feel like they can breathe a lot easier after having their ducts cleaned.
2. Overall System Efficiency and Air Quality: Your wallet takes a hit as well. The build-up of dirt and debris prevents the air from flowing freely throughout the ventilation system. That means it works harder and costs more to operate. Over time, the problem only gets worse. Clear the air in your home with air duct cleaning and air vent cleaning services from the NADCA certified professionals at Stanley Steemer.
It’s also important to realize that many companies limit ventilation system cleaning to the air ducts. Carefree will clean your entire ventilation system, including the HVAC unit, blower, evaporator coil and accessible components, as well as the individual air ducts, from the vent covers to the main trunk line. We also remove the vent covers, clean them, and then put them back in place. From duct cleaning to vent cleaning, we clean every part of your ventilation system.
3. Fire Prevention: Cleaning your ducts regularly will help in the prevention of fire. In all cases it is a good idea to have your ducts and system inspected and cleaned regularly.
Some signs that your duct system may need serviced
- Dirty supply and return vent covers.
- Dark filtration lines on the walls, ceiling or carpet that surround the vents.
- Excessive dust in the home.
- Variance in temperature or air flow throughout the house.
- An increase in the energy needed to operate the HVAC system at desired settings. This may indicate that dirt and debris are blocking coils and/or ductwork, restricting flow and spiking utility bills.
- New furnace or ductwork.
- A recent remodel/construction project.
- Water damage or flooding that occurred in the ductwork, which could cause sediment build-up in the system.